Benmont Montessori has been set up by Mrs Benafsha Irani. After gaining her certification in Early Childhood Education from the Association Montessori Internationale, headquartered in the Netherlands, Benafsha has set up the school with a vision to bring to Pune a one of its kind Montessori.
Benmont Montessori, is dedicated to providing a stimulating learning environment for children in the age group of 2 to 6 years, consistent with the values and principles of Dr. Maria Montessori. The mixed age classroom encourages children of different ages to interact with, help and learn from each other in a healthy and holistic environment.
Benmont Montessori’s curriculum is designed to develop each child’s full human potential – emotionally, physically, intellectually, socially and to foster a life-long love for learning. We truly believe that every child is special and we strive to provide the children with a safe, comfortable environment where they grow to love, learn and explore.
The points below will help understand how a Montessori Environment differs from a traditional one.
- The Classroom, also known as the Prepared Environment, is a child-centered, safe, stimulating prepared environment which is made keeping in mind the needs of the child.
- The materials used are manipulative, appealing to the senses, purposeful and give the child real life experiences.
- Everything in the environment is proportionate to the child, giving him the independence to choose what he wants to work with.
- The Mixed Age Group concept enables the older children to act as teachers and mentors for the younger ones. They truly care about, admire and support each other.
- The child is given freedom to choose his/her own work, depending on what his internal need is at that moment.
- The child can work at his/her own pace. The teacher adapts individualized lessons for each child, depending on the child's interest, learning style and ability.
- Students are taught to collaborate with each other rather than mindlessly compete. Dr. Montessori argued that in order for an education to touch children’s hearts and minds profoundly, students must learn because they are curious and interested, not simply to earn the highest grade in class.
- The Teacher known as the Directress has a passive role in the Environment. She observes, guides and directs the child to work with the materials as per his/her ability, however never imposes her teaching style on the children.